Transfer Credit

Credit earned at other regionally accredited colleges or universities may be transferred by students presenting sealed official transcripts describing such credit. Transcripts that have been opened by students prior to submission will be considered unofficial and no credits will be transferred based upon such documents. Courses are acceptable for transfer at the level at which these courses were classified by the institution granting the credit.

Only courses in which a student has earned a grade equivalent of “C” or better will be acceptable for transfer. The only exception will be if a student transfers to UT Tyler Core complete from another Texas public college or university, and the transferring institution recognized a "D" as satisfying its Core Curriculum requirements.

Per the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, a Field of Study Curriculum (FOSC) is a set of courses that fulfill lower-division (freshman and sophomore) requirements for a specific major/degree plan in addition to the core curriculum. FOSCs are guaranteed to transfer to any public college or university in Texas. Once you have successfully completed the set of courses that makes up the FOSC with a “C” or better, those courses are also guaranteed to apply to the appropriate bachelor's-level degree plans corresponding to the field of study. Receiving colleges and universities are not allowed to require incoming transfer students to repeat courses with the same content as FOSC courses to satisfy requirements for the academic major. For more information, please see:

In any case where a course must be assessed to determine the appropriate equivalency, a student may be required to provide additional information to their academic advisor and/or university staff, including official course descriptions and/or syllabi.

After enrolling at UT Tyler, students who wish to enroll in courses at another university or college must have prior approval from their academic advisor and the Office of the Registrar on an Undergraduate Transient Form. For specific procedures review the Undergraduate Transient Admission section of this catalog.