Chemistry B.S.--Biochemistry Emphasis (ACS-Certified)
Total Semester Hours=120
- University Core Curriculum — 42 hrs.
- A minimum grade of "C" in all chemistry courses.
- Completion of BIOL 1306/BIOL 1106, BIOL 1307/BIOL 1107, MATH 2413, MATH 2414, MATH 3404, PHYS 2325/PHYS 2125, and PHYS 2326/PHYS 2126.
- Completion of 52 semester hours of chemistry. Twelve semester hours of upper-division chemistry must be completed at this university. Chemistry courses required listed below.
- Four (4) hours of biology (lab/lecture) chosen from BIOL 3334/BIOL 3134, BIOL 3332/BIOL 3133, or BIOL 4300/BIOL 4101. A minor in biology, completed by taking all three of these courses, is strongly recommended.
- Approved lower and upper-division electives selected with the student’s career goals in mind. Suggested electives include courses in chemistry, biology, mathematics, computer science, statistics, education, speech, technical writing, technology, economics, psychology, sociology, and business administration.
Preparation for careers in specialized areas of chemistry and biochemistry is possible by careful selection of supporting areas of concentration. A partial list of specialized chemistry and biochemistry careers includes chemical marketing, chemical business, environmental chemistry, forensic science, pre-law (chemical patents), health professions (pre-medical and pre-dental), technical writing, biotechnology, and chemical technology. Students should confer with the academic advisor of the department in regard to such options and their career goals.
Chemistry Courses Required (52 hrs.)
Twelve semester hours of upper-division chemistry must be completed at this university.